Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dissembling headlights Oven!?

Go down 
+5
james
EF_guy
1eightySX
240sxy
nguyen306
9 posters
AuthorMessage
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

Number of posts : 396
Vehicle : Space Craft
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Dissembling headlights Oven!? Empty
PostSubject: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 12:00 am

has anyone ever threw in there headlights in the oven to dissembling them from the silicone? I'm in need to paint my housing, and last time i did this with a friends, it did not work out so well. Any tips, tricks etc?
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 2:42 am

ive done a couple of things,

you have to take it slowly and you cant rush the oven process.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 10:06 am

I've done, but it was a while ago. If I can handle I am pretty sure you will be ok.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
EF_guy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 3:25 pm

nguyen306 wrote:
has anyone ever threw in there headlights in the oven to dissembling them from the silicone? I'm in need to paint my housing, and last time i did this with a friends, it did not work out so well. Any tips, tricks etc?

put it glass down.
don't put full plastic lights in the oven.
make sure to remove any retaining clips from the headlight prior to placing it in the oven.
be very slow removing the glass, make sure to place the hot glass on a cloth padded surface so that it does not shatter. a cold counter can cause a very hot glass headlight to shatter, probably.

GL.
Back to top Go down
james
Rank 2
Rank 2
james

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : Corrado
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 4:25 pm

Id try a heat gun first before I went for the oven.
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 6:06 pm

james wrote:
Id try a heat gun first before I went for the oven.

not a good idea.
probably wont get enough "even" heat to make it budge at one corner, risk cracking the glass.
Back to top Go down
bogan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 6:36 pm

I can evenly heat them for you with my state of the art 3lb hammer, 100% disassembly guaranteed, or your money back
Back to top Go down
EVOXXX
Rank 3
Rank 3

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2011-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:18 pm

ive done it not hard lots of DIY on the interwebs
Back to top Go down
EVOXXX
Rank 3
Rank 3

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:19 pm

EF_guy wrote:
nguyen306 wrote:

put it glass down.
make sure to remove any retaining clips from the headlight prior to placing it in the oven.
be very slow removing the glass, make sure to place the hot glass on a cloth padded surface so that it does not shatter. a cold counter can cause a very hot glass headlight to shatter, probably.

GL.

and you can put full plastic lights in the oven your not cooking them your just heating it up spread apart the weather sealing

260 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 mins is what i did

EDIT: preheated to 260 !
Back to top Go down
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 11:13 pm

EVOXXX wrote:
EF_guy wrote:
nguyen306 wrote:

put it glass down.

GL.

and you can put full plastic lights in the oven your not cooking them your just heating it up spread apart the weather sealing

260? people were saying 150!, Ive used a heat gun doesn't work so well. Its a plastic lense btw, Ill tackle it with some friends for fun
Back to top Go down
phoez
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1337
Vehicle : nokia + xj
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2011, 5:03 pm

get cuong to help you
Back to top Go down
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2011, 5:07 pm

we ususally do the heat gun way, but that takes way to effing long and gets messy.
Back to top Go down
james
Rank 2
Rank 2
james

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : Corrado
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2011, 5:20 pm

Use the microwave.
Back to top Go down
barker
Rank 1
Rank 1
barker

Number of posts : 5
Vehicle : '02 Camaro SS
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2011, 3:13 am

I did a set this summer, it's not that hard as long as you take your time. Take any metal clips off them, heat them up (I did about 200F for 15ish mins), then just take your time prying them open with a butter knife. The plastics are really fragile, so don't be too rough/hasty when you're doing it. If it feels like the glue isn't soft enough, throw them back in the oven. Make sure you scuff up and clean the surface well before painting too.

P.S. buy a tube of RTV sealant and make a thick bead all the way around the edges when you seal them to make sure no water gets in, better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2011, 10:07 am

thanks! This stuff is also suppose to be the best for a clean cut finish
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=792
Back to top Go down
EVOXXX
Rank 3
Rank 3

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2011, 7:07 pm

nguyen306 wrote:
EVOXXX wrote:
EF_guy wrote:
nguyen306 wrote:

put it glass down.

GL.

260? people were saying 150!, Ive used a heat gun doesn't work so well. Its a plastic lense btw, Ill tackle it with some friends for fun

YES! 260 Fahrenheit , its gets to 120 on a nice hot day in mexico ! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dissembling headlights Oven!?   Dissembling headlights Oven!? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dissembling headlights Oven!?
Page 1 of 1