Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Texting and Driving

Go down 
+10
Marshal.
Zimm
Moneypits
nguyen306
T-Fel
Black
00devo00
chungstachung
Noops
MacSkank
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MacSkank
Rank 5
Rank 5

Number of posts : 556
Vehicle : Longboard
Registration date : 2010-05-27

Texting and Driving Empty
PostSubject: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2011, 4:56 pm

Fuck sakes, so I got a $280 ticket for " use electronic communication device while driving". So I was driving down North Albert, using bbm to text, and I got pulled over. Cop came over, asked why I pulled him over and I gave him the blank casual "no clue". He said he saw me texting, so I told him I was using my phone for GPS. Blah blah still got the ticket. I'm wondering if Sasktel can track time of use for BBM or if they can only get the records for SMS messages, because my last SMS message was 2:56 (since I was using BBM), and the ticket time was at 3:07. Also, the Safety Section number on the ticket is 241.1 (2) which reads "No driver shall use electronic communications equipment while driving a motor vehicle on a highway." Does it matter if I wasn't on a highway? Anyways, do I have a fighting chance for this/is it worth going to court over?
Back to top Go down
Noops
Rank 8
Rank 8
Noops

Number of posts : 1749
Vehicle : 02 Audi A6
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2011, 6:04 pm

Im thinking they dont get to many people with this type of ticket and they most likely will try there hardest to make an example of you.
To be honest I dont think I would waste my time taking this to court.
Back to top Go down
http://www.honda-tech.com
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

Number of posts : 310
Vehicle : Taffy White Civic Si Sedan
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2011, 6:08 pm

a highway is a street. BBM is a private company and not dealt thru the phone carrier you are with. (from what i understand). So if you are able to get your calling records/texting records from Sasktel, they wont give you bbm records.
Back to top Go down
http://ungcollective.bigcartel.com/
MacSkank
Rank 5
Rank 5

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2011, 6:12 pm

Hand-held electronic communications equipment prohibited
241.1(1) In this section and in section 287:
(a) “electronic communications equipment” means a cellular phone or
other prescribed equipment;
(b) “make a phone call” means to make, answer or end a phone call, or to
transmit or receive voice communication;
(c) “new driver” means a new driver as defined in the regulations;
(d) “use” means, with respect to electronic communications equipment, to
use the electronic communications equipment to make a phone call, text, talk,
email, or surf or access the Internet, or for any other prescribed purpose.

I'm curious to see how a court would obtain evidence of data usages. If I come in with my calling/SMS records, vs the officers word, and say the phone was solely used for GPS, I should have a good chance, no? I'm not bitching about paying the fine, I just hate getting points off ha.
Back to top Go down
Noops
Rank 8
Rank 8
Noops

Number of posts : 1749
Vehicle : 02 Audi A6
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2011, 6:18 pm

yea I agree it does suck
Back to top Go down
http://www.honda-tech.com
00devo00
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 250
Vehicle : 2011 WRX STI Sport Tech Sedan
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 11:33 am

So let me get this straight, You were texting while driving, cop sees this and pulls you over and give you a ticket for using an electronic device while driving, you blatantly lie to the officer saying you were using your phone (communication device) for gps, which is still considered using a electronic communication device while driving.

You got caught, suck it up and pay the fine. its not worth going to court to fight the ticket, also it doesn't matter when you were texting, you were paying attention to your phone and not the road, the officer saw this, pulled you over and gave you a ticket for your unsafe driving, this is also done in attempt to teach people like you not to text and drive... or at least not while a cop is watching you....like come on man

MacSkank wrote:
Fuck sakes, so I got a $280 ticket for " use electronic communication device while driving". So I was driving down North Albert, using bbm to text, and I got pulled over. Cop came over, asked why I pulled him over and I gave him the blank casual "no clue". He said he saw me texting, so I told him I was using my phone for GPS. Blah blah still got the ticket. I'm wondering if Sasktel can track time of use for BBM or if they can only get the records for SMS messages, because my last SMS message was 2:56 (since I was using BBM), and the ticket time was at 3:07. Also, the Safety Section number on the ticket is 241.1 (2) which reads "No driver shall use electronic communications equipment while driving a motor vehicle on a highway." Does it matter if I wasn't on a highway? Anyways, do I have a fighting chance for this/is it worth going to court over?
Back to top Go down
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

Number of posts : 310
Vehicle : Taffy White Civic Si Sedan
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 12:22 pm

Lol, im sure he doesnt mind about the fine. But if anyone is our age and in the GDL program theyll understand the point system, it truly is a bitch. 4 points for texting while driving if im not mistaken. thats alot of points. From what i've read or heard, the ticket is only for "electronic communication", somewhere in Canada a guy won his case, he said his phone dropped out of his shirt pocket and fell on his lap. They werent able to prove he was texting. And they cant just change the ticket in the middle of court.

00devo00 wrote:
So let me get this straight, You were texting while driving, cop sees this and pulls you over and give you a ticket for using an electronic device while driving, you blatantly lie to the officer saying you were using your phone (communication device) for gps, which is still considered using a electronic communication device while driving.

You got caught, suck it up and pay the fine. its not worth going to court to fight the ticket, also it doesn't matter when you were texting, you were paying attention to your phone and not the road, the officer saw this, pulled you over and gave you a ticket for your unsafe driving, this is also done in attempt to teach people like you not to text and drive... or at least not while a cop is watching you....like come on man

MacSkank wrote:
Back to top Go down
http://ungcollective.bigcartel.com/
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 12:54 pm

chungstachung wrote:
Lol, im sure he doesnt mind about the fine. But if anyone is our age and in the GDL program theyll understand the point system, it truly is a bitch. 4 points for texting while driving if im not mistaken. thats alot of points. From what i've read or heard, the ticket is only for "electronic communication", somewhere in Canada a guy won his case, he said his phone dropped out of his shirt pocket and fell on his lap. They werent able to prove he was texting. And they cant just change the ticket in the middle of court.

00devo00 wrote:

MacSkank wrote:

4 points is a lot, especially to a newer driver. Thats going to take three years of perfect driving to get back to zero if I'm not mistaken. There is a reason why the penalty is so harsh, there are too many people texting while driving and without a serious penalty, no one is going to stop. I remember driving/biking/skateboarding to school in the morning here in Saskatoon back before that law was put into place and at least once a week I was nearly run off the road by someone texting while driving. I have had a few friends actually hit in cross walks trying to get to school and the person driving the vehicle was texting. Since then I have noticed very few incidents where I was "almost" hit by someone texting.

At the end of the day those points suck but it's supposed to be a deterrent. I'm sure everyone still texts and drives once in a while, and I would be lying if I said I didn't, but that being said if I ever get a ticket for it I'm just gonna suck it up deal with the penalty and probably stop texting while driving.

Connor I would be willing to bet you won't be texting as much after this. Sorry but I have to agree with Devo, you deserved that ticket, but you might as well try and fight it.
Back to top Go down
T-Fel
Rank 6
Rank 6
T-Fel

Number of posts : 768
Vehicle : 92 Del Sol SIR/ 90 Silvia S13 K's
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 3:08 pm

Its drivers who text that total chevy half tons and exclaim "oh my gosh im sorry I didnt see you there" and then your left with this Texting and Driving Chevy310
So in my opinion i thank the officers for busting down on cell phone users cuz im chocked i lost my truck last week because of them....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodologic.ca
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

Number of posts : 396
Vehicle : Space Craft
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2011, 1:25 am

You can get your texting bil, but its usually in an emergency that they'll give it to you, but they'll read all your messages etc.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2011, 9:43 am

You have no case

Possibly could have if you didnt admit to using an electronic device, you lied to the cop but still admitted to using a handheld electronic device while driving so you only succeeded in digging yourself deeper what are you gonna do go to court and lie again and say you werent using it at all?

That law can be used to charge you for using any electronic handheld device while driving, hence why GPS and factory nav units give you the big warning to pull over before using them and why many cars are now coming out with voice activated commands.

So long story short you admitted to using a handheld electronic device while operating a motor vehicle so your shit outta luck.
Back to top Go down
Zimm
Rank 6
Rank 6
Zimm

Number of posts : 856
Vehicle : 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 2:16 pm

ya because you admitted it no madder bbm or not so if you were to fight it you would loss.. i mean giver a try the cop may not show up or they may give ya a break but i doubt it there very sticky with the cell phone law!! i had a buddy get one for changing his music on his ipod touch not even a phone... plus bbm is not tracable...
Back to top Go down
Marshal.
Rank 6
Rank 6
Marshal.

Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 7:01 pm

so you dont thin you are guilty of "using a electronic device while driving"?

even a handheld GPS is illegal to use while driving, so it changing the song on your ipod or whatnot while driving.

The law is the law.
Back to top Go down
MacSkank
Rank 5
Rank 5

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 7:47 pm

Doesn't matter what you think, I think or what the cop thinks, it's what can be proven. We'll see what happens in court. If I can't prove my case I'll pay the ticket and that will be that. If I win, or the cop doesnt show up, or even if I get a lesser fine or more time to pay, I'll be a happy camper!
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 7:56 pm

MacSkank wrote:
Doesn't matter what you think, I think or what the cop thinks, it's what can be proven. We'll see what happens in court. If I can't prove my case I'll pay the ticket and that will be that. If I win, or the cop doesnt show up, or even if I get a lesser fine or more time to pay, I'll be a happy camper!

You admitted your guilt to the cop when you told him that you were using your phone for GPS. I am sure the cop will mention that to the judge when you show up for your trial. You don't have a hope in hell of winning. Accept your punishment and pay your ticket and don't waste my tax dollars trying to fight it. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:09 pm

Marshal. wrote:
, so it changing the song on your ipod or whatnot while driving.

The law is the law.

Yeah this one sucks, I use an MP3 jack in every single car I own. (at work I plug it into my pc) That way all my music is always with me, in one place. Nice and easy. Generally I just make sure I pick the playlist I want before I set off, then I'm just reaching down to change the track back or forward and not having to actually look at it.

But if I got caught holding it, it would be a fine. So I make sure to leave it on the passenger seat at all time.

Back to top Go down
MacSkank
Rank 5
Rank 5

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:18 pm

Golks wrote:
don't waste my tax dollars trying to fight it. Thank you.

Texting and Driving Tumblr_llzut482SN1qf40tn
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:24 pm

so since my MP3 player is only a MP3 player, it's ok to hold?
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:27 pm

MacSkank wrote:
Golks wrote:
don't waste my tax dollars trying to fight it. Thank you.

Texting and Driving Tumblr_llzut482SN1qf40tn

Very clever to remove your post and put a picture up.

please explain to me how you are going to defend yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
MacSkank
Rank 5
Rank 5

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:27 pm

Heretic wrote:
so since my MP3 player is only a MP3 player, it's ok to hold?

(a) “electronic communications equipment” means a cellular phone or
other prescribed equipment

(dd) “prescribed” means prescribed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council
in the regulations

Mp3 player is not a communication device and not prescribed equipment
Back to top Go down
MacSkank
Rank 5
Rank 5

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:28 pm

Golks wrote:
Very clever to remove your post and put a picture up.

please explain to me how you are going to defend yourself.

For a second I thought I gave a fuck, and then realized I didn't. Unfortunatly you're not the judge so I see no need to justify myself to you, and am going to take my chances in court.
Back to top Go down
m-x-3
Rank 3
Rank 3
m-x-3

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:31 pm

someones too badass ^
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:55 pm

please post results of court
Back to top Go down
Marshal.
Rank 6
Rank 6
Marshal.

Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 8:56 pm

urban 4x4ing is a 400+ fine.
Back to top Go down
m-x-3
Rank 3
Rank 3
m-x-3

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2011, 9:25 pm

going 170 in a cavalier is a 490 ticket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Texting and Driving   Texting and Driving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Texting and Driving
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next