Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OOP Inspection

Go down 
+16
Heretic
Moneypits
jdm_itr
JSharp
240sxy
Bjohnson
Zimm
T-Fel
nguyen306
kyles_r32
locked2
Rob
james
bogan
1eightySX
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

OOP Inspection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 11:27 pm

JSharp wrote:
1eightySX wrote:
Alright, so....

How about headlights? Did anybody ever have to change the headlights to the DOT certified ones?

fountain tire by east costco said all the lights in my skyline needed to all be changed to DOT certified.... I paid for the inspection and went elsewhere for better luck...

Obviously it worked out in the end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 10:49 pm

Go to Henderson fountain tire mine was a breeze there
Back to top Go down
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

Number of posts : 396
Vehicle : Space Craft
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 1:58 am

HEY NOW, If i just spent 13,000 on a car, and they got me for a powersteering rack sweat and it was over a thousand dollars to be replaced, and say i need to replace it to pass safety, ID BE PISSED because ill be broke for the next month. But some things they usually catch, that are actually needed to be replace is understandable
SAFETY = BREEZE = Very Happy
Fountain Tire Henderson is the choice, but don't forget they have a high safety call back from SGI.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 3:28 pm

Both my RHD that I had to safety went through and saftied within 4 hours

make sure shit is DOT and show reciepts for any previous work done
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 5:41 pm

Did you have problems with headlights or side markers?
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2012, 9:46 am

1eightySX wrote:
Did you have problems with headlights or side markers?

Not on either car, although the nice thing with the subarus is they come with sidemarkers factory etc.

I was given some grief of DOT approved lighting on the subaru though such as headlights and taillights, I managed to find some SAE markings on them so they passed but my other solution was a small stencil that said DOT and some etching liquid lol, long as they say DOT is what they told me that way they arent held accountable haha.

GTR I had saftied at certified frame and alignment and the STi I had saftied here at Bennett.

Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2012, 3:12 pm

james wrote:
Why the fuck would I feel the `NEED` to replace a Japanese certified good condition toyo tire? Dipshit. Do you actually think the american DOT certification is any more stringent than the Japanese certification? I realize why they want all tires to be certified (In this case they choose American certification), but if you think there is an actual safety benefit between a Japanese market tire and one sold here you confirm my suspicions that you have an extra chromosome.

No James is right here, you guys are just being big mouths and holding a grudge from that older posts.

Canada is not DOT. DOT is american standards. Ours is CMVSS. SO why don't are car parts have to be CMVSS? Because we are too small a market to demand it. We just use DOT (the American standard) by default. I'm sure both German TUV and Japanese JASO certification is as good as anything DOT approved. In all fairness since Canada doesn't enforce it's own CMVSS, anything JASO, TUV or DOT approved should be good here. Aftermarket stuff not approved by anybody, should really be the only problem.
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2012, 4:31 pm

they still ask for DOT approved. so it doesnt matter.
Back to top Go down
Bjohnson
Rank 8
Rank 8
Bjohnson

Vehicle : 2001 Honda S2000
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2012, 4:37 pm

... another great google post from Heretic?
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2012, 2:49 am

Bjohnson wrote:
... another great google post from Heretic?

wrongo buddy , all off the top of my head. Ive gone to bat about shit, like Fiaccos propsed exhaust ban in the past. its all just stuck in my head. anyways the point is valid , but Adrian is right , the argument is moot. The shops here want to see DOT , what choice is there ?

PS sorry for the weird punctuation , android keyboard is owning my ass still. Sad
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2012, 3:11 am

amd speaking of JASO vs DOT. if all these jdm rides are allowed here based on there historical value (isn't that why they have to be 15 years old ?) They how can you even demand a dot stamped anything on a foreign market car ? It certainly would be worth going to bat with SGI and getting TUV and JASO recognized as acceptable markings. problem is we as enthuiasits dont really have a voice.
Back to top Go down
kyles_r32
Rank 4
Rank 4
kyles_r32

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2012, 6:28 pm

Yeah im more concerned about headlights and markers. Tires are just a given that you have to replace them. Also the exhaust, are they pretty picky about the muffler being to big or just the noise level?
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2012, 6:29 pm

go to fountain tire ha
they dont say shit and if they do then fix what the issues are
Back to top Go down
kyles_r32
Rank 4
Rank 4
kyles_r32

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2012, 6:47 pm

Well since my car hasn't been plated in canada i would have to get a federal safety, can fountain tire do that?
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2012, 6:49 pm

yeah.

but they want DOT everything,
theyre soft but they still follow the rules.
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 12:32 pm

kyles_r32 wrote:
Well since my car hasn't been plated in canada i would have to get a federal safety, can fountain tire do that?

You only need a Federal safety if your car is imported from the states and less than 15 years old.

Canadian Tire is the only place in Regina that does federal inspections under the RIV program.
Back to top Go down
kyles_r32
Rank 4
Rank 4
kyles_r32

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 8:18 pm

I imported a silvia so i should only have to do a provincial inspection then??
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 10:44 pm

Golks wrote:
kyles_r32 wrote:

You only need a Federal safety if your car is imported from the states and less than 15 years old.

Canadian Tire is the only place in Regina that does federal inspections under the RIV program.

kyles_r32 wrote:

Umm I think it's not where you get it from, but how old it is.

So if it's over 15 years old, it's here under that historical value crap and only needs a OOP inspection, if it's newer then that it needs a Federal and RIV. However if it's newer then 15 years old it has to be admissible according the RIV list. So it could technically come from anywhere, Germany, Japan, UK, whatever. As long as it's on the list and has all the Canadian spec stuff on it. RHD might be an instant fail, but say a German market 2005 BMW, would be LHD and pretty much identical to what we get. (also it would cost you way, way more then buying local, so it's just hypothetical situation)

Old cars should not need DOT headlights, or side marker lights or any shit light that. I think some shops are getting it confused. I know I've seen people rig up marker lights and shit on older JDM cars, and they shouldn't legally need to do that. They are here for historical value, not to be bastardized and fucked up for some dumb ass shop. Now if it's a newer car and the Canadian version of that car had side markers, but the American/German market car did not. You would have to add them, but that's the job of the Federal, not the Prov inspectors.

Also I passed a recent OOP at with German headlights that were not DOT stamped. All they cared about was did the low and high beams work and were they aimed right.

Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 10:58 pm

Heretic wrote:
Golks wrote:
kyles_r32 wrote:

kyles_r32 wrote:

Umm I think it's not where you get it from, but how old it is.

So if it's over 15 years old, it's here under that historical value crap and only needs a OOP inspection, if it's newer then that it needs a Federal and RIV. However if it's newer then 15 years old it has to be admissible according the RIV list. So it could technically come from anywhere, Germany, Japan, UK, whatever. As long as it's on the list and has all the Canadian spec stuff on it. RHD might be an instant fail, but say a German market 2005 BMW, would be LHD and pretty much identical to what we get. (also it would cost you way, way more then buying local, so it's just hypothetical situation)

Old cars should not need DOT headlights, or side marker lights or any shit light that. I think some shops are getting it confused. I know I've seen people rig up marker lights and shit on older JDM cars, and they shouldn't legally need to do that. They are here for historical value, not to be bastardized and fucked up for some dumb ass shop. Now if it's a newer car and the Canadian version of that car had side markers, but the American/German market car did not. You would have to add them, but that's the job of the Federal, not the Prov inspectors.

Also I passed a recent OOP at with German headlights that were not DOT stamped. All they cared about was did the low and high beams work and were they aimed right.

Here is what the RIV program is for:
Quote :
The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) was created to establish and maintain a system of registration, inspection and certification to Canadian standards of vehicles originally manufactured for distribution in the U.S. market that are being permanently imported into Canada.

It only covers vehicles from the states or originally manufactured for sale in the states that are newer than 15 years. If a Car is from any other market like Mexico, Japan, UK, Germany etc and that car was intended to be sold new in that country it doesn't fall under the RIV program and you would have to try and get it in under another exemption in the importation regulations. Say you were an international guest such as a student or embassador from another country then you are allowed to bring your personal vehicle to canada for personal use but you can;t sell it and you have to arrange for it to be sent back to where it came from when your visa expires. There is also that whole 'kit car' loophole that is a shot in the dark and the ever popular 'because racecar' rule.

I guess you could argue that the grey market exports from canda/usa to countries like Japan would be ok to import back to Canada no problem but usually those cars are way over priced and you can find something cheaper here.

I could blab on for hours about this............but because Kyle_r32 is importing a silvia and it is probably 15 years old it doesn;t matter. Get your OOP and drive the car. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 11:17 pm

That's messed and very informative. Thanks!

There must be some loopholes, I just figured nobody ever imports from farther away because logistically it makes no sense. But I've also been told all Mexican market cars are a No-no even when older then 15 years. Which is a shame because they get some Euro only models Canada and USA do not get.

Their must have been different rules way back, Andres VW Polo came here from Germany with a couple that moved here and brought the car (then basically new) to Canada with them.
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 11:42 pm

Heretic wrote:
That's messed and very informative. Thanks!

There must be some loopholes, I just figured nobody ever imports from farther away because logistically it makes no sense. But I've also been told all Mexican market cars are a No-no even when older then 15 years. Which is a shame because they get some Euro only models Canada and USA do not get.

Their must have been different rules way back, Andres VW Polo came here from Germany with a couple that moved here and brought the car (then basically new) to Canada with them.

The Polo would have most likely been exempt because of the "settler's" rule that says as long as you keep residence for a certain period of time in Canada you can replace your car with something else. So they probably sold it legally.

Mexican cars are fine if they are 15years old (as long as they meet DOT etc). An interesting note about Mexico is that when NAFTA was signed there was a provision in the agreement that allowed for cars manufactured in Mexico to be admisable into Canada and the states after a magic date with different age rules. This is how those ages broke down :

Quote :
(f) entitled to the benefit of the United States Tariff, the Mexico Tariff or the Mexico-United States Tariff and imported from Mexico

(i) in the 2009 or 2010 calendar year, if the motor vehicles are not less than ten years old,

(ii) in the 2011 or 2012 calendar year, if the motor vehicles are not less than eight years old,

(iii) in the 2013 or 2014 calendar year, if the motor vehicles are not less than six years old,

(iv) in the 2015 or 2016 calendar year, if the motor vehicles are not less than four years old,

(v) in the 2017 or 2018 calendar year, if the motor vehicles are not less than two years old, or

(vi) on or after January 1, 2019;

So that opens up the doors to a WHOLE bunch of VW's (SEAT Leon Cupra R's and Audi S3's) and different Nissans and Euro Fords etc that were never sold here. HOWEVER the vehicle has to meet safety and emissions requirements of that year of manufacture (or something like that). So the federal government is now in the process of formulating that list and will probably contract the RIV to handle Mexican imports like they do American imports. It also isn't clear if it only applies to vehicle manufactured in Mexico.

That being Said the Polo's and the Ka's will will never make it up here since they are tin can's with doors.

Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 11:51 pm

ZOMG Mexican cars are a go! (so are thunderbirds!) I swear Golks I just pee'd my pants a bit! You just gave me my best Xmas present this year!

I see a Focus RS in my future! cheers cheers

OOP Inspection - Page 2 2009-Ford-Focus-RS
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2012, 11:57 pm

Heretic wrote:
ZOMG Mexican cars are a go! (so are thunderbirds!) I swear Golks I just pee'd my pants a bit! You just gave me my best Xmas present this year!

I see a Focus RS in my future! cheers cheers

OOP Inspection - Page 2 2009-Ford-Focus-RS

As long as you wait a couple more years. Whether or not they allow vehicles not manufactured in Mexico. And the big one, If Transport Canada puts it on the 'list'.
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 12:47 am

So don't get my hopes up, is what you are saying?
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 12:51 am

Heretic wrote:
So don't get my hopes up, is what you are saying?

Yup. Actually if I recall they only imported something like 10 or 20 RS's to mexico in 2009. I remember reading on Jalopnik that some dude in the states bought one of them and he was importing it for his collection.

Otherwise I think that was it for Mexico. I just checked their Mexican site and there is no RS on it. Isn't the next generation RS coming to the states/canada in 2014 anyway?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOP Inspection   OOP Inspection - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OOP Inspection
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next