Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car

Go down 
+11
T-Fel
subbie
JSharp
Marshal.
locked2
Black
00devo00
veedub
toddler
1eightySX
Moneypits
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Empty
PostSubject: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 1:25 pm

So basically Im looking at buying a new car, I want AWD Turbo Preferably.

Looking at brand new because I want new warranty and dont want to inherit someones problems.

Peoples argument of payments on new vs used and paying for repairs, well Either way I cannot afford a used STi so either way IM financing a vehicle so Id still prefer new.

In question im looking for opinions on the STi vs the WRX as well as suggestions on any other cars that fall into my wish list
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 1:57 pm

Devin was telling me that some of the research he did after the fact, pointed to that fact that even people with stock STi's were having the same issue he is having. Although I could be mistaken, I know Devin is also having a hell of time with the repairs getting completed as nobody can really tell him what the problem exactly is.

Again, this is from last Saturday maybe things have changed. I do know that he loves his car, but that is kind of irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
toddler
Rank 5
Rank 5
toddler

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 2:32 pm

Evo ftw! but seriously if your not looking at doing anything to it i would just go with a wrx, still a great car for less than the STI, for what marshal said about new cars and paint i have heard it's all newer cars that are really light on clear coat, we have had a lot of warrenty rust claims coming through with lexus stuff on the trunk.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 2:41 pm

I would skip the WRX. That is just me.
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 3:41 pm

I had a friend who was looking at both WRXs and STis and he ended up getting a WRX and was really happy with it.
Back to top Go down
00devo00
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 250
Vehicle : 2011 WRX STI Sport Tech Sedan
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 3:49 pm

Yo, thought since I'm one of the guys that bought a new subaru i might be able to give you some insight.

The car is way to much........ fun to driver haha, i have to say even though im having some problems as of late i do still love the car.

If you do plan on buying an sti new and finance it, you are still going to be paying a fair bit, sticker price for mine (sport tech sedan) is around 46 thou,
when i bought mine i traded in my civic (they gave me 14,400 for it) and put down another 10 grand to get the payments lower, and my monthly payments
are 485$ per month for 5 years. if i didn't put down the 10 grand my payments would have been around 650+ per month. But to me its worth it for the car.

The car handles amazing stock and even better with the suspension i had put into it. the seats could have been made a bit stiffer than how they were, the sides of the "bucket seats" are fairly soft and don't quite hold you in the seat very good around corners at higher speeds. Not saying it isn't comfortable, as they are leather and a cloths type substance that i don't know how to spell lol, swaid? i don't know haha, too lazy to google.

the stock sound system that comes with the base sti is nothing special, the pioneer that come in the sport tech/limited sounds a bit better, it come with "subs" that do a bit but you can tell the are tiny and don't really pound like at all, but over all not too bad.

one thing i like is the "SI-drive" buttons, its allows you to change the "tune" on the fly from "Intelligent mode" (daily driving), to "sport" (more power than intelligent) or "Sport #" (this is the "performance setting" basically how the car should be) intelligent is great for gas millage (daily driving) and sport is good for just ripping around, sport # is more for track use kind of thing.

The Dccd is and has always been a great thing, just being able to send a bit more power to the rear when ever you want or just have her in 50/50 for that awd grip on the fly. the auto mode is also handy as it changes where the power goes by how you are driving.

The Stock shifter is very loose and was the first thing i changed. went to a short shift with stiffer bushing, made a huge difference. one way someone described the stock shifter is "its like a stick in a sand box"

The paint is pretty shitty, not gonna lie about that but thats just the way its gonna be, i recomend getting the clear bra put on right away and regret not doing it myself, when my bumper gets fixed (eventually) and i get my hood fixed up im going to be getting it put on, you may get that ugly line across the hood but you wont get chips in your paint from bugs haha. the paint chips very easily lol.

ummmmm the brakes are amazing (well duh they are brembos haha)

Warranty is a very nice thing to have, i bought the extended warranty when i bought my car and am glad i did, because subaru (well at least auto gallery doesn't) does not offer loaner vehicles/rental when you car goes in for work that may take a while to do (such as whats going on with my car) The extended warranty covers a rental car for i think about 6 days, which even for that short time is worth it, especially if you live out of town like i do.

Auto gallery has been and always will be a joke to deal with, mainly because the owner (tom) is a cheap prick lol

Had the exact car i was gonna order not been at auto gallery on their lot when i was looking i would have gone to s'toon to buy my car, but since they had exactly what i was looking for i went with them. I don't regret it, but i probably could have gotten a better deal had i gone to s'toon instead but whatever, I am still happy with what i got. Just mainly shit happens lol.

With the issues i am having with my car and why its a subaru is because Cyl #4 piston ring lands have been cracking causing mass amounts of blow-by to happen and some detonation because is being burned off. From what i have gathered this is happening on non-modded and modded STI's. After i finally got some info out of auto gallery they said it might have to do with the fact that cyl#4 is the last to get oil and its being starved but they aren't sure if thats the case or not. Also there is apparently a service bulletin out for similar cases like this saying that it could also be caused by a number of things such as running it lean, the wrong octane of fuel, a aftermarket tunner (not a protune but something like the AP), over boosting, using a blow off valve, ect. Basically they are saying that if you do anything it will cause this, but customers have been proving this wrong as this issue is happening to non-modded and "granny driven" sti's too. all in all it seems no one quite knows why this is happening yet.

Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 4:38 pm

Ya I ve been doing alot of research and what I can find is that its hit or miss 70% of people that had engine problems had them happen within 8000kms tuned or not.

Everyone seems to say get an AP or protune datalog consitently to monitor for knocking or any signs of warning.

Crawford also seems to offer a package that is an AP, Crawford tune, Oil blowby catchcan which theyre saying this kit helps in some peace of mind for your STi

although its shitty that it happened I dont see these motor problems happening enough to sway me from still wanting one. THe worst seems to be the 08's and if I have warranty thats what its for to take car of problems like that whereas if I went with an older one like an 08 or something Im fucked if that motor starts to fuck up

Does anyone have any other ideas as to other cars to look into someone made mention of a VW R32 Golf but Ive heard there front wheel drive biased for theyre 4wd system and that is something I am not interested in at all
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 5:12 pm

Lexus. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toddler
Rank 5
Rank 5
toddler

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 5:26 pm

IS 250 awd or IS 350awd, only thing is that is not turbo'd. Nice cars pretty sure though you can't get the awd in manual if that is something you want
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 5:37 pm

I feel like if I owned a Lexus I wouldn't mess around with it as much so it would really help you be finished with cars. But I get the feeling this isn't what he actually wants.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 6:06 pm

If you get it before you do anything get the front 3m'ed... Then go to lightspeed in calgary and get it tuned!
Back to top Go down
locked2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 9:49 pm

The issue with cylinder #4 is the placement of the knock sensor, it will receive more timing than cylinder 2 and 1 &3 receive even less timing. So cylinder #4 recieves 90% of the knock events. Thats how Dom explained it but in much better words.
Back to top Go down
Marshal.
Rank 6
Rank 6
Marshal.

Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 10:43 pm

00devo00 wrote:
my monthly payments are 485$ per month

This is what my fucking house costs per month.

On a serious note, if you are dead set on a subaru, get the WRX. Almost 10g cheaper, same looks, same (better 0-60) time, 9.5/10th of the handeling, and was less for parts. Plus, you can use that other money to pay it off sooner.

Back to top Go down
Marshal.
Rank 6
Rank 6
Marshal.

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 10:45 pm

locked2 wrote:
The issue with cylinder #4 is the placement of the knock sensor, it will receive more timing than cylinder 2 and 1 &3 receive even less timing. So cylinder #4 recieves 90% of the knock events. Thats how Dom explained it but in much better words.

allegedly the factory header is a terrible design too, causing the #4 cyl to have very high EGTs as well.

You have to look at it this way too, the engines are basically unchanged, design wise, since they came out in the early 90s in japan.
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 10:56 pm

Black wrote:
If you get it before you do anything get the front 3m'ed... Then go to lightspeed in calgary and get it tuned!

dealer is so expensive to get 3m taped..... anyone know any better shops that 3m vehicles?
Back to top Go down
Marshal.
Rank 6
Rank 6
Marshal.

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 11:03 pm

pm duggyb, Hes you man
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 11:10 pm

Marshal. wrote:
pm duggyb, Hes you man

okay nice! thanks.

I would personally get the STI

this video show very well what your paying for

the sti isnt all about 0-60 tho/;/.//// its about overall performance

its a slower or same time as wrx because in sti you have to shift to 3rd gear
Back to top Go down
Marshal.
Rank 6
Rank 6
Marshal.

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 7:19 am

i know that. but 9/10 times, the wrx is going to do everything the sti will be able to. I guess you just have to ask yourself if its really worth it at this point in your life.
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 9:29 am

Marshal. wrote:

On a serious note, if you are dead set on a subaru, get the WRX. Almost 10g cheaper, same looks, same (better 0-60) time, 9.5/10th of the handeling, and was less for parts. Plus, you can use that other money to pay it off sooner.

I would have bought an sti myself when i was looking at subaru's but ya i could justify paying another $15,000 (at the time in 08) for the STi. Especially since thr prices have dropped now and the WRX is basically a STI but without the diff and and emblems...

Better bang for your buck? I think so...
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 10:17 am

djStewzy wrote:

I would have bought an sti myself when i was looking at subaru's but ya i could justify paying another $15,000 (at the time in 08) for the STi. [/quote]

I don't know if you actually meant to say couldn't or it was on purpose or just a Freudian Slip?
Back to top Go down
T-Fel
Rank 6
Rank 6
T-Fel

Number of posts : 768
Vehicle : 92 Del Sol SIR/ 90 Silvia S13 K's
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 10:44 am

Man up buy the STI you only live once and debt cant get you when your dead... plus everyone one will give you that famous line "shouldve got a STI" .. Im sure Adam heard that one a time or two... and even if i recall Ken Block himself told Adam that same thing haha! Talk about a epic phone call!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodologic.ca
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 12:30 pm

sorry benoit ya meant to say *couldn't*

LOL ya ok Tfel...go buy yourself a $55,000 car then over a $35,000 car that does the same thing. It's not about "its just a wrx" its about being able to afford to double your car payment for a little flash...mmm no thanks
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 12:47 pm

What the cost of the 265hp WRX? That seems like a good deal for what you get?

Personally I'd get a Ralliart Sportback, because it's damn good value for the money at about $30k Not bad considering a Civic Si will rush you 25K And the Lancer has AWD, 237 horsepower and 253ft/lbs. o-60 in 5.5 and room for all your crap. Levely overall package!

And because the Sportback doesn't come EVO when people say (and they will) "ohh man you should have got an EVO" you can say "They don't make an EVO Sportback or I would have", and shut them up Razz
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 1:34 pm

i dont think I can buy a lancer or evo not a new one anyways I think theyre Butt fuckin ugly
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 2:34 pm

If you get a WRX please get a hatch!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car   WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WRX STi vs WRX vs Other car
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Other :: Off Topic-
Jump to: